In traditional warfare, chemical weapons are forbidden to be used but most of us who are involved in prepping aren’t preparing for “traditional” hazards. We’re preparing for the unexpected. In this article I’ll be discussing five reasons that you might want to consider purchasing gas masks to add to your stockpile of emergency supplies.
If you don’t already own gas masks, I highly urge you to read this article. By the time you are finished, you just might be convinced to put them on your shopping list.
Without Further Ado, Let’s Get Started
- Protecting Your Eyes from Chemical Attacks – The right kind of gas mask can help protect your eyes from chemicals that are designed to cause irritation which will usually impair your vision. Some examples might be tear gas or pepper spray. If marauders come knocking on your door with intentions of stealing your supplies, one tactic that they might use is to deploy tear gas with the intention of forcing you out of your home so that they can steal your precious commodities.
- Protecting Your Lungs from Chemical Attacks – A quality gas mask can help protect your lungs from the same types of chemical attacks that might be used against you as in the situation described above. Remember, if you can breathe, you can still fight and defend what’s yours. If someone takes your ability to breathe away, it’s game over for you!
- Protection from Pandemic Illnesses – If some sort of plague or pandemic illness was to wreak havoc across the world, you’re going to want to have a good quality gas mask for each member of your family. The inexpensive paper masks are primarily designed to keep YOU from spreading germs. They’re not nearly as effective at preventing you from breathing in germs, bacteria, or viruses.
- Protection from Nuclear Fallout – In the event of a nuclear attack or even an accident at a nuclear power plant, a good quality gas mask may help protect you from breathing in nuclear fallout.
- Protecting Your Lungs from Smoke Inhalation – During a major natural disaster, it can be very possible for many buildings to catch on fire. If your home doesn’t catch fire but the buildings in your neighborhood do, you may be forced to evacuate if you can’t breathe due to the thick smoke. Only you can make the decision as to whether or not you should evacuate but a gas mask may be able to help you breathe until the fire subsides and the air clears.
An Important Thing to Remember about Purchasing Gas Masks
If you do decide to purchase gas masks for the members of your family, make sure that you purchase high-quality masks that fit each member of your family properly. I can’t overstate the importance of making sure that they actually fit the people who will be wearing them. If they don’t fit properly, they’ll provide little, if any, protection.
Another thing to keep in mind is that many gas masks use replaceable filter canisters. It would probably be a good idea to have several spares on hand.
Stick Around for a While!
Since you’re obviously in the mood to read about prepping, why not take a minute and read my article called What Kind of Dogs Should Preppers Own?